Self-actualization and appreciation

As shown through my blog posts, I'm pretty crazy about psychology, often using the psychological lens in tandem with the formalist lens to analyze literature. With this being said, the discussion on Maslow piqued my interest: how can we reach self-actualization? What is that moment of anagnorisis in which we reach the peak of Maslow's hierarchy?

The feeling of self-actualization won't be reached unless the tiers below it are met. I'll often look at the food on my plate, the muffins and waffles I ate today, or the family around me, and feel tremendously grateful for the privileges I have. But as much gratitude as I hold for these people and items around me, I don't find it easy to experience self-actualization. To be frank, the feeling doesn't even have a concrete definition. Nevertheless, the reason I can't have full gratitude is the inhibitory feelings that still exist within me. I'll be anxious about something or planning an event ahead of time in my mind while feeling appreciative. The task I have to do lies in the backburner of my brain; perhaps I'm just not a great multitasker, but I'll sometimes relive a happy place: Disney!

Last December, few months before the pandemic, I'd gone to Disney. I didn't find myself too excited on the first day, but on the second when I was at Cinderella Castle, I had this feeling of appreciation for everything around me: the people, the food, the characters, the hospitality... most importantly, the positive energy that radiated each and every area. A whole new world! 

I had nothing to worry about; it was simply a place to live and love. The skepticism I had toward "The Most Magical Place on Earth" dissipated. What made Disneyworld so magical? I'm not too sure what exactly incited this feeling, but looking at this hierarchy Maslow proposes, I'd reached all the levels below self-actualization. Carefree, blissful, immersive...it's a feeling you'll want to experience for yourself. 💫🏰

Comments