Done with Love

 "'I was trying to protect you,' I said through my tears. ''I was trying to save you!'"

Nea's actions are often characterized as impulsive and immature. However, digging deep, the main source of her actions come from love. As she was an immigrant of a single-parent household with five children in a restaurant, her life wasn't easy. It certainly does not improve when her sister leaves her, "settling down" for security rather than love and shattering the dreams the sisters always discussed. 

Nea's protective instincts that cause her to exaggerate the circumstances highlight her "immaturity". Maybe it's the hardship of dealing with change that causes this, but there seems to be a point where Nea "crosses the line" in which she thinks the worst of Sourdi's circumstances. This overprotective nature compels me to ponder upon my grandparents, specifically when they came to the US and lived with me for an extended period of time.

My lunches were packed with food, each container filled to its maximum (or even over maximum at times). My grandmother wouldn't let me leave the table until all my food was finished, and even when it was finished, she made me eat more. It was an endless cycle, to the point where I didn't enjoy my meals. I was annoyed. Telling my mom, my food slowly diminished, and my grandmother not only avoided giving me more food but also avoided talking as a whole. The vibe just wasn't right. One night, passing by her room, I overheard them discussing this situation. My grandmother believed I didn't like her food, or better yet, her. She didn't understand why I couldn't appreciate her actions.  

I felt terrible — but I realized that each action is done out of love. The reason why I was uncomfortable was that I had trouble adjusting to change, with my grandparents visiting me for about the 3rd time in eleven years of life (that I remembered of). Whether it's nagging at me to sleep before 10 or forcing me to eat more food, I know that she just wants me to stay healthy and happy, being grateful for this lifestyle that is definitely better than her own. What saved us was communication: getting to know each other better (through many card games and walks) and building a strong relationship. 

This complexity between my grandmother and I is similar to Sourdi and Nea's, with tension arising from the difficulty of change. Nea loved her sister so much that it was too hard to stay calm when Sourdi left. But every time Nea tried to protect Sourdi, Sourdi was disappointed. Ultimately, their relationship needed some more communication. A better understanding of Nea's desires and motives as well as Sourdi's thoughts and beliefs. Maybe even more meetups, enjoying a cup of coffee and freshly toasted waffles.

Comments

  1. Abby, this piece was so interesting to read!! I loved reading about your relationship with your grandma and I could feel the parallels between me and my own grandmother. I agree that many misunderstandings could probably be mended with some communication.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment